[Typo3-dev] Reference image instead of copying

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Wed Dec 21 15:53:09 CET 2005

Hi Kasper!

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Martin Kutscher mentions the "mergeIfNotBlank" feature which could work if you
> have a true database field and use localized records pointing to an original
> - but since you use FCE its not possible. However there are override options
> inside the FCE _if_ you use the value-binding translation methods
> (<langChildren> = 1).

Yes, this works!

> Anyway, more generally your idea is already on my todo list: To create a new
> TCA element type of a file reference to a directory where files are
> referenced to and NOT copied. With such a new field type you could do what
> you want.

Yes, this would be great. Especially if you have a static list of images
that you never change (i.e. never remove files from it). There is no
reason to copy those image to one more place...

> I must stress that this type is an alternative to the current type which
> copies the file because copying the file really is a valid concept in itself
> (especially when playing with versioning where the file reference is more
> difficult to handle).

Absolutely agree, I though about a flag in group element that says
"doNotCopyToUploadsDir". Only when it is set explicitely, file should
not be copied.

> I suggest that someone volunteers to create this type. A patch could be
> announced on the bug-tracker. I also want to notice that if this patch will
> be implemented best directly in the core and not as an extension, simply
> because we need to implement awareness of this new file reference type to
> make sure that the import/export functionality takes notice of it and that
> the new reference index also counts it in.

Btw, do we have a description how import/export works? Quick look to
contents of main docs revealed nothing.

Dmitry.