[Typo3-dev] Reference image instead of copying

Dennis Cheung hkdennis2k at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 03:04:06 CET 2005

> > Anyway, more generally your idea is already on my todo list: To create a new
> > TCA element type of a file reference to a directory where files are
> > referenced to and NOT copied. With such a new field type you could do what
> > you want.

There are easier way.
We ca use symbolic link/hard link provided by file system rather than a copy.

>> Anyway, more generally your idea is already on my todo list: To create a new
>> TCA element type of a file reference to a directory where files are
>> referenced to and NOT copied. With such a new field type you could do what
>> you want.
That may be great. But I am worry about performance and security.

> > I must stress that this type is an alternative to the current type which
> > copies the file because copying the file really is a valid concept in itself
> > (especially when playing with versioning where the file reference is more
> > difficult to handle).

I am thinking, should typo3 playing with versioning itself.
It is possible play with other version control(e.g. SVN).
Modify on copy? using diff file?

> Btw, do we have a description how import/export works? Quick look to
> contents of main docs revealed nothing.

I have same question too.

Dennis