[Typo3-dev] templa voila new version, when ?

media.res | alex widschwendter a.widschwendter at mediares.at
Tue Aug 16 17:32:02 CEST 2005

hi robert,

> yes, I mean, the T3A was basically founded just because we wanted to support
> developers. The point is only that currently there is not enough money to
> feed them all.
>
> Let's do some calculation: Currently the Association has 178 members, two
> thirds of them being individuals. Individuals pay 100€ per year, companies
> 500€:
>
> 54 * 500 = 27.000 €
> 124 * 100 = 12.400 €
>
> Total per year: 39.400 €
> That surely is a lot of money.

at least for the first year nearly the double amount should be available
(at least we payed 1000 €) ;)

> Now let's assume we want to feed 5 developers:
>
> 40.000€ / 5 / 12 months = 666,66 €

its clear to me that there is no chance, and probably never will be, to
pay 5 developers doing nothing else than TYPO3. but with this amount of
money it must be possible to release a roadmap (done) with timelines
(rather vague at the moment) and corresponding money needed for
finishing projects. sort them by general interest (priorities) maybe
poll the community about that...

Planned features:

    * PHP4 + PHP5 compatible (as long as TYPO3 core doesn't use features
offered by PHP5 - not really needed -> TYPO3 5.0 ;)
    * Workflow, Versioning and Workspaces 1.0
3000 needed for finshing
    * Digital Asset Management 1.0
5000 needed for finshing
    * Extension Manager +
at least i could work with the current one ...
    * New default RTE
5000
    * TemplaVoila 1.0
5000
    * DBAL 1.0
3000

and so on ...
    * Indexed Search 2.0
    * Data integrity check and cleanup functions
    * Ease of use: zapped all gremlins

if no more money to develop, wait until next years fees, or somebody who
needs something urgent (down in the list - not very useful for the broad
mass - sponsor it - (fundable.org)

this way you could assure you are more or LESS ;) well payed, everybody
knows for what project the money is used, you can influent development
to your (my company needs) by further sponsorship ....

a new RTE also can be realised by some volunteers project maybe with
some guidance of core dev ...?

developer adoption programm seems also a quite good idea to me :) but i
fear there are not so much potential companies to do so? interpreting
the assoscation member figures ... maybe it gets more attraktiv if the
dev really works for the sponsoring company a certain amount of the
adoption time...

> The situation I dream of is that a bunch of developers are paid by the
> Association and a group of companies covering 3/4 of their time. Those who
> pay them have total confidence that they do their best to bring TYPO3
> ahead. The last quarter of their time could be used for whatever project
> they like, maybe they'd like to give some training or work on a commercial
> project implementing a website to not loose contact to the real world ...

is that meant the way i descripted it above?

just my thoughts

alex