[Typo3-dev] clustering vs. loadbalancing vs. blades

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Wed Aug 3 22:09:35 CEST 2005

> Clustering is certainly useful in situations where you don't get by with
> one webserver and one db server. Native clustering like with MySQL is a
> good solution because it's transparent to TYPO3.
Yes but this also shows a big disadvantage of TYPO3 at the moment.
Scalability has to be a feature of the system itself. If you say that
the database is under to heavy load, the database is part of the TYPO3
system.
For the most cases the system could scale much more better if we see
that there is a process how content is created and rendered. In a clean
environment only a master server has to store the data and the nodes in
the cluster should serve with recplicated data (cache data). If a
frontend system really needs write access to data, there should be a
pipe for that through the slave node to the master server.

In ZOPE you have so called ZEO client Zope Enterprise Object Clients
that get their data of the master and caching it for the next request.
Enabling/Disabling of nodes is no problem then.

Regards

Sven