[Typo3-dev] clustering vs. loadbalancing vs. blades

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed Aug 3 21:55:14 CEST 2005

Elmar Hinz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for a better understand of the descussion about clustering a need some
> advice.
>
> Is there a difference between clustering, loadbalancing und ibm blade
> technologies?

Yep.

> If so what are the differences?

Okay, a simple answer: See wikipedia for the keywords...

Clustering means using multiple machines for identical tasks, preferably
with an identical environment, connected through some network controlled
by some daemon. One purpose of clustering is load-balancing, another is
failover.

Loadbalancing means spreading requests coming in to one server to
multiple servers, either randomly or depending on the load of the
individual nodes.

As for IBM blades, I have no idea about what's special with them. The
clue in blades is simply to stack as many servers into one rack, packed
in vertical blades which are basically complete mainboards with RAM and
CPU and some connection to storage devices.

> Which one do you think best for TYPO3?

Clustering is certainly useful in situations where you don't get by with
one webserver and one db server. Native clustering like with MySQL is a
good solution because it's transparent to TYPO3.

Cheers,
Michael