[Typo3-dev] clustering vs. loadbalancing vs. blades

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at vcd-berlin.de
Wed Aug 3 22:32:32 CEST 2005

> Okay, a simple answer: See wikipedia for the keywords...

Indeed, I did before posting. But I wanted to read a rather TYPO3
specifc perspective. :-)

> As for IBM blades, I have no idea about what's special with them. The
> clue in blades is simply to stack as many servers into one rack, packed
> in vertical blades which are basically complete mainboards with RAM and
> CPU and some connection to storage devices.

[...]
> Clustering is certainly useful in situations where you don't get by with
> one webserver and one db server. Native clustering like with MySQL is a
> good solution because it's transparent to TYPO3.

Mathias Schreiber wrote some postings before:

<cite>
We once had the problem to face more than 500.000 PIs per hour with
typo3 and went for IBM blades. They keep track of rebuilding the data
and keeping the data in sync all by themselves (funny, just like they
say in their marketing paper) and this works fine.
</cite>

That leads me to the impression that this blade technologie is
transparent to TYPO3, too.

But it sounds as if the blades have a flat organisation. Therefore I
wonder if no Information is lost, during INSERTs. Compare Sven Wilhelms
description of piping frontend input to a master server.

Regards

Elmar