[Typo3-dev] TER License Problem

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed Apr 20 10:26:10 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:

> Is there any reason why you keep on ignoring the fact that there is a big
> difference between a "plugin" and an "extension"?

Yes, the reason lies in the fact that until now, nobody could explain
exactly what the difference is, surely not the GPL FAQ.

> I gave the example of press2web which is available as a standalone software
> but can be an extension to TYPO3 using a plugin.

I was not going to debate semantic issues here but: Press2Web has
*nothing* to do with TYPO3, but is standalone. The connector is an
extension to TYPO3, therefore GPL. Where do I say anything different?

> The plugin is of course GPLed since it is "derived work" as you already
> explained, but the extension itself is definitely not. It could be a
> commercial extension too (which it isn't) using the same plugin.

Yes, but your definition of extension is very broad. E.g. to me
PHPMyAdmin is not an extension to TYPO3, but a standalone app that
happens to be referred to in the BE and works on the same data.

> So could you please stop confusing people by claiming TYPO3 extensions were
> forced to be GPLed?

I don't see why. What is your definition of an extension? Something that
is on the same webspace, uses the same db tables, says it is related to
TYPO3?

Greetings,
Michael