[Typo3-dev] TER License Problem

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed Apr 20 10:43:08 CEST 2005

JoH wrote:

> You could even create an extension with two different licenses, where the
> user has to buy an additional license to get something like a "Pro" version.
> Basic functionality would be available for free just by installing the
> extension and the "Pro" version would be restricted until the user bought a
> special license key, that would be checked on a registration server each
> time the extension is used.
>
> The only thing you would have to respect while creating such a "Pro" version
> is, that it would not be allowed to use code "derived from" TYPO3.

I don't understand how this is supposed to work: GPL does not care about
the number of features you have, and of course you can charge for a
registration fee. But given that also a "Pro"-extension (=which cannot
run standalone) interfaces with TYPO3 it is a derived work. The whole
thing depends on how dependant the extension is on TYPO3. Of course,
this is to be challenged legally because GPL does not elaborate on where
derivative code starts and ends, but basically I think the FSF *means*
just that.

But I'll gladly shut up on this issue until we have a real case to debate ;)

Greetings,
Michael