[Typo3-dev] proper way extension development?

Horn Gábor Horn.Gabor at aktiv.co.hu
Mon May 17 07:50:18 CEST 2004

Hi!

I've made my first extension w/ kickstarter, and now would like to know
what is the recommended way to develop it. I would like to change
database tables of it in the new version(s), so what i'd need is some
kind of edit mode of the kickstarter's "make new extansion" forms (which
is a joy to work w/ anyway!). I saw ext manager/loaded extensions/backup
delete/start new. So should i backup first the files i've modified in my
extension (it's the pi1/class.tx_xxx_pi1.php), remove the extension,
then use this function to start a new w/ the same name, modify the
database definition, let it create(overwrite?) the files, the copy back
the previous pi1/class.tx_xxx_pi1.php and continue develop that? Or what
is the proper way if i need to change my extension's database defintion
(i guess simply modifying the table itself w/ phpMyAdmin is not a good
way, and it would be nice having kickstarter's functionalities to do the
job not edit the files manually).

I also noticed after editing pi1/class.tx_xxx_pi1.php,in ext
manager/loaded extensions/information there's a red warning the file
differs from the original. How can i "update" it? Should i have to use
the "edit files" mode here? That's inconvienent for me, and also seems i
cannot save from there by default.

Sorry for this newbie questions, i'd need a few hints here at the
begining to learn the proper typo3 ext coding method/style. I've read
http://typo3.hachmeister.org/Create_your_own_Frontend.137.0.html and
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_tut_backend/ but
didn't find the answers there.

thanks, hirisov