[Typo3-dev] Huge problems to translate extensions

Ingmar Schlecht ingmars at web.de
Tue May 4 19:18:54 CEST 2004

Hi Kari,

Kari Salovaara wrote:
> 1) Some times I cannot even get extension details to show on pages.
> Typo3.org relocates me back to frontpage. Several times (3-25) when I
> try once again whentrying to get to translation page.
> 2) Same thing happens now-and-then when I want to save or go back from
> translation page.
> 3) And quite a few times I got message "Segment "extensions" was not a
> keyword for a postVarSet as expected!" when returning back with Go Back
> link.

AFAIK all those errors are related to Kasper's version of the realURL
extension that he recently installed on typo3.org.
Since he's currently at the PHP Conference in Amsterdam, I guess he
doesn't know of the problem yet.

> Other notes:
> a) There is still one extensions with default language = German !!!

Perhaps the author of that extension is incapable of writing english?

I think in that case the translators of the German language should get
in contact with the English translators and tranlate the extension to
english together.

> b) There is quite a lot extensions without manuals/guides.Sometimes it's
> very hard to translate if you don't know what the extensions is actually
> doing. And it's impossible for me to install all extensions and test
> them.

I didn't think about this problem yet, thanks for enlightening me.

> c) When the guiding text (by Kasper) advices us, translators, to do our
> best for the extension owner, it is still very difficult to act
> likerecommended as the owner of extension has not been thinking how they
> write the original text. In many cases it's too short and doesn't
> describe the field or helptext needed. Or sometimes they are far too long.

I would like a mailinglist/newsgroup for translators. All translators
registered on typo3.org should automatically be member of that mailinglist.
That place could be used for communication about specific problems when
translating and to solve misunderstandings of strings to translate.
Additionally it could be used by extension authors to encourage
translators to translate their extension.

cheers,
Ingmar