[Typo3-dev] Huge problems to translate extensions

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Tue May 4 20:08:30 CEST 2004

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> Hi Kari,
>
> AFAIK all those errors are related to Kasper's version of the realURL
> extension that he recently installed on typo3.org.
> Since he's currently at the PHP Conference in Amsterdam, I guess he
> doesn't know of the problem yet.

OK. There was already one earlier problem to Kasper (personal emails)
related to translations. I think he'll do that also when he comes back.

> Perhaps the author of that extension is incapable of writing english?
>
> I think in that case the translators of the German language should get
> in contact with the English translators and tranlate the extension to
> english together.

That could be one solution, otherwise I'll publish my future extension
in Finnish ! ;-)

> I didn't think about this problem yet, thanks for enlightening me.

OK.

> I would like a mailinglist/newsgroup for translators. All translators
> registered on typo3.org should automatically be member of that mailinglist.
> That place could be used for communication about specific problems when
> translating and to solve misunderstandings of strings to translate.
> Additionally it could be used by extension authors to encourage
> translators to translate their extension.

Actually there is some kind of list already that Kasper is using when he
sends notes to translators.
I understand that most translators are only translating those extensions
where they have some personal interest. There is only few languages by
which extensions are more or less totally translated. This is also a
problem if you want to establish a real, European level, multilanguage site.
There should be a list for extension owners to urge them to update their
extensions with translations !!!

> cheers,
> Ingmar

Cheers,
Kari

PS. And now I go to watch USA-Denmark. Poor Kasper .... ;-)
FIN-DEN was 6-0.

--
Kari Salovaara
Project Manager