[Typo3-dev] tslib_content::getAltParam()

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Tue Mar 23 01:00:04 CET 2004

Andreas Schwarzkopf wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Martin T. Kutschker schrieb:
>
>  > IMHO it
>  > would be more sensible to use the alt-text as title-text and have an
>  > empty alt-tag. This saves bandwith and old-style alt-texts should in
>  > 99.9% really be title-texts.
>
> this suggestion goes completely against the Accessibility Guidelines
> (point 1.1, highest priority) ->
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#gl-provide-equivalents>.
> The Guidelines are a base for some laws, especially the BITV in Germany.
>  If we want to advertise for TYPO3 as a system wich support the
> Accessibility (what some TYPO3 projects are working on), we must not
> clean all the alt tags.

Yes. And the guidelines say that the alt-text is a description meant for
  non-GUI browsers (eg text-based, screen-reader, braille). The
title-attribute OTOH may provide an optionoal title. It's ridiculous
that nowadays the alt-attribute is still misused for fancy "tooltips".

Using the same "blah blah" for alt- AND title attribute is IMHO
prolonging the situation. Better and empty alt-attribute than an
unhelpful one. Anyway, this was only one possible settings I've
described. See below.

> Another point is, the MSIE only shows the title tags on links. All other
> title tags would go to Nirvana or can only be shown by Mozilla.

Duh? Is Typo3 IE-only? There are other browsers than IE, and if they
support the title-attribute somehow, it'd by nice if

> So, my point of view is, to let this as it is or may be to give a
> possibility to the site developer to set some title tags if he likes to.

That's what I have suggested. I advice all site authors to suplly an
alt- AND a title-atribute.

My concern was what happens if no title-attribute is set. For this case
I have suggested three options I'd like to see implemented as options
via the SYS global variable.

Masi