[Typo3-dev] How can i get the japanese language extension?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Thu Jun 24 00:15:55 CEST 2004

> In Japan, Almost all of web clients support iso-2022-jp, euc-jp
> and shift-jis codes. Plus, major web clients; IE, Netscape and
> Mozilla support utf8. In database, we should choise one from
> these charset.

Like in western europe where we usually use iso-8859-1 charset in the
database (and frontend) you can of course use shift-jis in the database
(shift-jis at least is supported by TYPO3, masi can give more details).

BUT the *recommendation* is that UTF-8 is always used in the
database/backend of TYPO3 and preferably on the websites as well (in
order to avoid error prone conversion of submitted information from the
frontend).

UTF-8 will also be TYPO3s preferred and most supported charset as we see
this as the "world-charset" that can represent all languages and
therefore should be used by all applications over time.

- kasper