[Typo3-dev] How can i get the japanese language extension?

UMEGAKI Masahiro ume at st.rim.or.jp
Wed Jun 23 16:03:56 CEST 2004

Hi,all

>UMEGAKI Masahiro wrote:
>>
>> I'm afraid that allmost all of the authors in Japan like to
>> write web pages using iso-2022-jp(JIS) code. But they don't use
>> iso-2022-jp code in databese, because iso-2022-jp has a shift-in
>> /shift-out sequences.
>
>That's why Typo3 hasn't built in support for this.

Ok,I agree this point.

> > Usually, we use euc-jp code in a database.
>>  euc-code is the most popular code on UNIX in Japan. euc-code's
>> strings are converted for iso-2022-jp code and output. Or we
>> output these without change.
>>
>> * Major codes in Japan
>>   iso-2022-jp: JIS code, only 7bits
>>   shift-jis:   8bits, Windows,MacOS
>>   euc-jp:      8bits, mainly UNIX
>>   utf8:        unicode, newer version of Windows and XML
>>                few in the web pages.
>>
>> * Which code is more major code in web ?
>>   iso-2022-jp >> shift-jis > euc-jp > utf8
>>
>> So, I feel to be upset.
>
>??? You don't mean, it is your duty to be angry? ???

I'm sorry these words wasn't right. I wanted to say I might get
confused.

>I read it that your unhappy with the missing EUC-JP support.
>
>Well, I reckon you're new on this list because otheriwse you'd have
>noticed that I've asked already for help in supporting Japanese.
>Personally I don't care whether it's Shift-JIS or EUC-JP. But again it's
>  one time decision - I'm against including strings in two charsets
>which are interchangeable.
>
>Important though is that all relevant clients should support the charset
>(ie IE on Windows). The U in EUC (Extended Unix Code) makes me wonder if
>it's a good choice.

In Japan, Almost all of web clients support iso-2022-jp, euc-jp
and shift-jis codes. Plus, major web clients; IE, Netscape and
Mozilla support utf8. In database, we should choise one from
these charset. But we want to use also another charset when PHP
script generate a html content. So we will happy that TYPO has a
 mechanism of conversion.

>Anyway, it's vital that Typo3 has means to work on that charset without
>external libs (mbstring, iconv, recode). This is true for Shift-JIS. It
>could be true for EUC-JP if I only can get a copy of a
>EUC-JP-to-Unicode-conversion table. I couldn't find any that were
>comprehensible on the net. So calm down and get me a copy.
>
>What's currently a bit clumsy (not even sure if it's 100% correctly
>possible) is to use a different charset for output than for storing.
>Anyway, for JIS (iso-2022-jp) output you *will* need mbstring or iconv.

i have to check the functions of TYPO3. Maybe I didn't
understand TYPO3's design.

-----
Masahiro UMEGAKI ume at st.rim.or.jp
http://www.umegaki.jp/ (japanese)