[Typo3-dev] How can i get the japanese language extension?

Martin T. Kutschker Martin-no5pam-Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Sun Jun 20 16:35:50 CEST 2004

UMEGAKI Masahiro wrote:

> I'm afraid that allmost all of the authors in Japan like to
> write web pages using iso-2022-jp(JIS) code. But they don't use
> iso-2022-jp code in databese, because iso-2022-jp has a shift-in
> /shift-out sequences.

That's why Typo3 hasn't built in support for this.

 > Usually, we use euc-jp code in a database.
>  euc-code is the most popular code on UNIX in Japan. euc-code's
> strings are converted for iso-2022-jp code and output. Or we
> output these without change.
>
> * Major codes in Japan
>   iso-2022-jp: JIS code, only 7bits
>   shift-jis:   8bits, Windows,MacOS
>   euc-jp:      8bits, mainly UNIX
>   utf8:        unicode, newer version of Windows and XML
>                few in the web pages.
>
> * Which code is more major code in web ?
>   iso-2022-jp >> shift-jis > euc-jp > utf8
>
> So, I feel to be upset.

??? You don't mean, it is your duty to be angry? ???

I read it that your unhappy with the missing EUC-JP support.

Well, I reckon you're new on this list because otheriwse you'd have
noticed that I've asked already for help in supporting Japanese.
Personally I don't care whether it's Shift-JIS or EUC-JP. But again it's
  one time decision - I'm against including strings in two charsets
which are interchangeable.

Important though is that all relevant clients should support the charset
(ie IE on Windows). The U in EUC (Extended Unix Code) makes me wonder if
it's a good choice.

Anyway, it's vital that Typo3 has means to work on that charset without
external libs (mbstring, iconv, recode). This is true for Shift-JIS. It
could be true for EUC-JP if I only can get a copy of a
EUC-JP-to-Unicode-conversion table. I couldn't find any that were
comprehensible on the net. So calm down and get me a copy.

What's currently a bit clumsy (not even sure if it's 100% correctly
possible) is to use a different charset for output than for storing.
Anyway, for JIS (iso-2022-jp) output you *will* need mbstring or iconv.

Masi