[Typo3-dev] How can i get the japanese language extension?

UMEGAKI Masahiro ume at st.rim.or.jp
Sat Jun 19 15:31:55 CEST 2004

Hello from Japan.

>UMEGAKI Masahiro wrote:
>> Hi,kasper,
>>
>> I have misunderstood some. i understood TYPO3 cat only process
>> the japanese as a utf8 multibyte text. i will check this feature,
>>  and report whether it works well.
>
>Japanese BE strings could either be stored in UTF-8 or alternatively in
>Shift-JIS. Typo3 has (native) string handling routines for both
>encodings. Actually Typo3 is currently configured for Shift-JIS. But the
>charset can only be set *once* at the beginning of the translation process.

I'm afraid that allmost all of the authors in Japan like to
write web pages using iso-2022-jp(JIS) code. But they don't use
iso-2022-jp code in databese, because iso-2022-jp has a shift-in
/shift-out sequences. Usually, we use euc-jp code in a database.
 euc-code is the most popular code on UNIX in Japan. euc-code's
strings are converted for iso-2022-jp code and output. Or we
output these without change.

* Major codes in Japan
  iso-2022-jp: JIS code, only 7bits
  shift-jis:   8bits, Windows,MacOS
  euc-jp:      8bits, mainly UNIX
  utf8:        unicode, newer version of Windows and XML
               few in the web pages.

* Which code is more major code in web ?
  iso-2022-jp >> shift-jis > euc-jp > utf8

So, I feel to be upset. I will investigate into this issue and

>> i want to translate TYPO3 into japanese, but i don't have time
>> and capacity. i have to read documents more, and will consider
>> whether or not i can do that.
>
>AFAIK, there are tools that let you translate all the stuff string by
>string. You don't have to code anything.

It sounds nice. I'm downloading some documents. I'll check it.

-----
Masahiro UMEGAKI ume at st.rim.or.jp
http://www.umegaki.jp/ (japanese)