[Typo3-dev] Additional Stylesheet for visually impaired + chinese/arabic/etc.

Andreas Schwarzkopf a.schwarzkopf at meinsystem.de
Tue Jun 8 14:52:20 CEST 2004

Hi Kasper,

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:

> BUT I was thinking that maybe a user would like to have it in his user
> profile to raise the size of the fonts a bit if they are usually too
> small for his sight. Or when I look at the backend in chinese or arabic
> I often think that it must be impossible to decipher those blobs of
> pixels unless the font-size is higher.
>
> Now, the question is:
> - Are these issues real or will people just increase font-size in the
> browser?

The asean fonts are very very small, may be it is not readable. IMHO the
user can not encrease the font-size if it is fixed in "px" or "pt" just
by switching the font scale in the browser.

> - Is there are way to ask the browser CSS to universally raise
> font-sizes (so I don't have to override every font-size CSS attribute
> from the main stylesheet)

If it is defined in "em"s, than it depends on the body or other parent
box font size.

Its also possible with a user stylesheet, the user can define his own
stylesheet on his client machine where he can increase the font. Very
simple to do it in Mozilla, Firefox etc.

> - Is there a way to obtain a SINGLE stylesheet which renders arabic,
> chinese and latin characters all readable in small sizes? (Using
> something else than "px"?)

May be "em"? It is favored on accessibility issuses because it is
relative and scalable.

> PLEASE NOTICE;
> a) I'm asking about the backend!
> b) I don't want "Yes, just do it". I need to know if this is really
> worth spending time on since there are always other priorities as well!
>
> Any suggestions from translators / accessibility folks?

It can work other way but might be not so robust as with "px". Needs
extended browser testing by people with different languages and browser
settings etc. Perhaps a special sipmle overriding skin for such purposes
would be quite easier as a standard solution.

grtx

Andreas