[Typo3-dev] Just another braindump ;)

Jan Wischnat jan at wischnat.de
Sun Jun 6 17:03:53 CEST 2004

Hello Sven, hello list,

> Currently we often see the question "who pays for that" on the
> devel-list. Many of the development work is done by individual
> sponsoring and we have always to look for new sponsors so that the work
> can go on.
> If we do present the Typo3 project on a special event only dedicated to
> Typo3 we could invite companys, the government and other sponsors to
> invest in Typo3, not only to a special project but in the whole thing.

I think that the sponsoring and development of (future) projects could be
accelerated if the projects were presented in a more transparent way. I'm
often missing information on "Who sponsored how much?", "How much sponsoring
is missing?", "What benefits do i get if i sponsor" and "Where to send
money?"

Maybe we should "invite" sponsors a little more... I personally know a quite
a few potential sponsors (decisiontakers/sysadmins of authorities) that have
not even *seen* those project descriptions until i have showed them...

Could it be a good idea to place the projects also on typo3.com?
Also, I would really like to see a project description and "sponsoring
invitation" for TemplaVoilá.

It's not easy for potential sponsors show their interest. I would like a
function on project-pages where interested sponsors can leave annotations,
thus announcing their interest. Developers/Agencies then could get in touch
with these interested sponsors.

During my TYPO3-years i made the experience that interested sponsors  are
too "shy" ore "timide" to get in touch with developers directly. But they
don't mind reading a project description and announce their interest on a
forum/board...

Projects that are in planning phase would also benefit from such an
annotate-function. Developers/agencies could quickly find out if their
projects are of interest for sponsors: No Annotations - no interest ;-)

> If we do present the Typo3 project on a special event only dedicated to
> Typo3 we could invite companys, the government and other sponsors to
> invest in Typo3, not only to a special project but in the whole thing.
>
> I think we currently lack in our outside presentation. I've foundet the
> TUG in Darmstadt and saw many people interested in Typo3 (on our first
> events such as presentation or workshop, from private till government).

This year a few agencies/devs have presented TYPO3 on CEBIT in Hannover.
IIRC Christoph Moeller from network-publishing.de was one of them. Would it
be a good idea to have our "TYPO3-Day" on CEBIT and to form a "CEBIT-Team"?

> Where can these people get informations, or can participate to the
> project. Many of them DIDN'T work with opensource projects before and do
> not know how to start to participate now, or the start is so difficult
> that they give it up.

Full ACK.

> Time and so one:
> If interested in and we get a team with up to 10 people in the
> organization, we could plan it for eg. april 2005 (and have the members
> have to start working at latest august 2004).

Count me in. Maybe we could/should all meet in September in "the middle of
germany"? I am very interested in the opinion of Daniel Hinderink.

> Ok that was the first part of my dump translated to english.
>
> Please throw the knives high, I'm small ;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Jan