[Typo3-dev] Just another braindump ;)

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Sun Jun 6 01:04:40 CEST 2004

Hi *,

a few weeks ago I have sent this idea to Jan Wischnat because I wanted
to work out that idea a little bit more before I sent it to the list,
but now I think we also can work out the idea together if you interested in.

I have sent to Jan the idea to organize a Typo3-Conference in Germany.
Ok, I know thats a big thing and many many people will be needed to plan
that. But please let me dump my ideas before telling me your mental
reservations ;)

What the point of that?

Typo3 grows very hard and I think many agree with that, in many project
more than a few developers are missing, also more than sometimes
sponsoring is missing.

In germany we have the so called Linuxtag with it's subtitle "where dot
com meets dot org". Also we have many other opensource meetings such as
the openoffice conference in Berlin which I think can contribute many to
the success of openoffice.

Why not try something similar for Typo3?

My ideas to the 1. German Typo3 Conference:

- -> Presentation of the project and the subprojects of Typo3
~   -> Typo3 in its main operations
~      -> Organisations (nonprofit/profit)
~      -> Government
~      -> Education

- -> Visions of Typo3
- -> Quality assurance in Typo3
- -> The Community behind Typo3
- -> Other Topics related to Typo3
~   -> In germany the so called "Barrierefreies Internet"
~   -> ...

What chance do we have with such a conference?
Currently we often see the question "who pays for that" on the
devel-list. Many of the development work is done by individual
sponsoring and we have always to look for new sponsors so that the work
can go on.

If we do present the Typo3 project on a special event only dedicated to
Typo3 we could invite companys, the government and other sponsors to
invest in Typo3, not only to a special project but in the whole thing.

I think we currently lack in our outside presentation. I've foundet the
TUG in Darmstadt and saw many people interested in Typo3 (on our first
events such as presentation or workshop, from private till government).

Where can these people get informations, or can participate to the
project. Many of them DIDN'T work with opensource projects before and do
not know how to start to participate now, or the start is so difficult
that they give it up.

Goals of the Typo3 Conference:
- -------------------------------
- -> Present the Project and the structure of it
- -> Give a place where Company/Governments/Community meets developers
~   (eg. first contact)
- -> Give a place to present the TUG's currently existing
- -> Give a place to present the companies providing Typo3 services
- -> Place where the whole project can advertising for itself for big
~   sponsoring
- -> The developer meets each other and can plan projects (should NOT
~   compete with the Snowboard tour)
- -> Should be a YEARLY event

Structure of organization, financing:
- --------------------------------------
We need at least a team of 10 person to organize that event. Also that
team I think has to found a so called "eingetragener Verein" in germany
that has to be (sorry i don't have the right word in english)
"allgemeinnützig" like the free software foundation europe in germany.
If we could plan such an event at a university (like openoffice-con in
berlin) I think we could save a lot of money and also that university
has a lot of profit due to public interest
for the event. For what do we have to pay for at least?
- -> Advertising
- -> Journey and accommodation of the speakers

Time and so one:
- -----------------
If interested in and we get a team with up to 10 people in the
organization, we could plan it for eg. april 2005 (and have the members
have to start working at latest august 2004).

The Conference:
- ----------------
In my mind the conference should be in a yearly period.

At the end I want to say that the ideas here are only a first braindump
of me and before I want to invest more time into the ideas it would be
fine to read the comments of the community. I know of two persons in
Darmstadt that would be interested in to help to organize that event,
but to every person that wants to join such an orga-team, let me say:
you should like to be a member the next three or four years also.

Ok that was the first part of my dump translated to english.

Please throw the knives high, I'm small ;)

Greetings Sven