[Typo3-dev] BE Login through URL part 2

Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] leendert at netcreators.nl
Fri Jun 4 16:07:13 CEST 2004

 > Hmm, wouldn't it be better to use the "functionality" directly, ie as an
> "executable" rather than via http?
>
> AFAIK Typo3 isn't ready for that yet, but there is a growing "demand"
> for alternative access to Typo3 via SOAP/XML-RPC or other means that
> this would fit in.

Well even SOAP requests could go over HTTP, so that would conceptually be
the same. I'm not sure what would be wrong with such an interface (i.e.
directly passing user/pass to Typo3 to allow for on-the-fly authentication),
the password could be MD5'd and then compared. I've had a look at
feuser_belogin but I just want to be able to use only the backend admin user
to do it. I suppose I could make an extension for it.

> Perhaps it might be a nice goal to abstract some/all of teh BE
> functionalities, so that arbitrary interfaces coan be defined on it. Be
> it RDF/XML "exports", SOAP/XML-RPC calls, etc. I'm arguing here BTW for
> freedom of choice. IMHO Typo3 could have a SOAP *and* an XML-RPC
> interface. Should be possible then to build a CLI as well.

That'd definitely be nice, and something I've long hoped for (I wish more
third party application had a similar interface too, that makes it much,
much easier to interface them with Typo3). Microshaft's CMS Server is
capable of this, for example.

> One problem remains how to setup up the CLI so that no password is
> necessary for specific tasks. Make it dependent on OS root rights? Hm.

That sounds a bit heavy. I'm not sure what you mean by CLI. Command line
interface? I'm not sure if that would be needed. Why not enable the XML
layer to do the authentication as well?

Cheers,
Leendert