[Typo3-dev] BE Login through URL part 2

Martin T. Kutschker Martin-no5pam-Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Sat Jun 5 16:41:35 CEST 2004

Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] wrote:
>  > Hmm, wouldn't it be better to use the "functionality" directly, ie as an
>
>>"executable" rather than via http?
>>
>>AFAIK Typo3 isn't ready for that yet, but there is a growing "demand"
>>for alternative access to Typo3 via SOAP/XML-RPC or other means that
>>this would fit in.
>

> Well even SOAP requests could go over HTTP, so that would conceptually be
> the same.

But SOAP can go also over other transports, even SMTP.

>>One problem remains how to setup up the CLI so that no password is
>>necessary for specific tasks. Make it dependent on OS root rights? Hm.
>
> That sounds a bit heavy. I'm not sure what you mean by CLI. Command line
> interface?

Yes.

 > I'm not sure if that would be needed. Why not enable the XML
> layer to do the authentication as well?

Well, the CLI is especially intended for non-interactive tasks started
via cron or similar services. Eg what's currently missing is a cron job
for session expiry. Something like that won't even need any real user
rights. I guess that's true for backup jobs as well.

For these kind of tasks I don't need no exposed API (via XML or
somethign else), just an internal API that's not tied to the Web interface.

And I use CLI a lot in my daily work. Web interfaces are nice but it
can't hurt to have one ready.

Masi