[Typo3-dev] More comfort for developers?

Mathias Schreiber [K1net] ms at k1net.de
Fri Jun 4 09:39:29 CEST 2004

Butsch [nf] wrote:
> What I want to say is that this is in fact not a theoretical but a
> very practical debate we're having here. Because there is a solution
> at hand, something is there and the first question should be: Is this
> a direction we can go into or not before chitchatting about further
> solutions?

I am going to talk to some friends of mine in Bangalore.
They are rather cheap and fast.
What I had going on in my mind was something that goes far beyond indent and
highlighting.
Example:
I type 10 = HMENU
When I type 10. I want to get a dropdown box with all HMENU properties.
This way you could speed up debugging 10 times.
Plus: I'd like to click "Save" and make Java do the DB stuff, so no
reloading of the page.
And I'd like the editor to build an internal TSOB.
Example:

I have tt_products installed and change to the templates module.
The first time the editor starts up it builds the entire TS tree and stores
it in memory.
Now when I type "plugin.tt_products" I get my dropdown again with all stuff
from the page tree.
This concept would bear two (IMHO) major advantages
a) less property lookup terror
b) no need for external XML files to define what the editor should do (thus
less development hassle for devs)

What I would like to see as well would be a button called "Reload TS Tree"
so if more than one dev is working on a project I can update my tree at any
time without reloading the page.

The main TS features (cObjs) could be defined in an XML file so if Kasper
changes TS the editor simply loads the XML stream and implements those
features.

Another thing that would be really cool would be if the editor checks for
included HTML templates itself and displays all subparts and markers as soon
as I trigger properties of a template object.

The interesting question is:
Is there a need for a solution like this?
If so, do we get the cash-pool up and running?
If not, maybe I would do this as a commercial extension (gotta check back
with DH and KS) since the bangalore guys estimated something around 2000 -
3000 euros (with all the above features).
Does this touch GPL?
I know everybody will be starting a flame war against me because I want to
sell something but if we don't get a pool running I don't see another
perspective.
Let the flaming begin ;-)

> By the way: Where is the person who claimed to have a solution
> completed in Ultra Edit?

This was nothing more than a syntax highlighting.
You cannot "integrate" UE into Typo3