[Typo3-dev] More comfort for developers?

Butsch [nf] ub at netfielders.de
Fri Jun 4 08:46:31 CEST 2004

Just some background-remarks on the genesis why this editor-theme is
initiated once again:

Maybe some of you still remember that netfielders introduced a
Typoscript-Editor Demo
last year which was based on Java. Some felt it's great, some did not.
We experimented further on that and integrated it into the backend and it
worked fine (and still does).
Then some people came up and said that they had already a solution at hand
in some external editor (I think it was Ultra Edit) and that it will be
ready soon and made clear that there is no need to develop an editor any
further.
So we stopped putting any further effort into this, because it seemed
someone was faster than we were.

So two month ago someone asked in the German list if there is some editor
for Typoscript because he felt it hard to work with the html-textarea,
escpecially when there are longer Typoscripts. Then two weeks again the same
question for an editor in the German list.

As this reminded us of the discussion from a year ago we decided to once
again introduce our editor as a possible solution.

What I want to say is that this is in fact not a theoretical but a very
practical debate we're having here. Because there is a solution at hand,
something is there and the first question should be: Is this a direction we
can go into or not before chitchatting about further solutions?

So if anybody is willing to experiment with the editor, you can send a mail
to me and I will send you the files you need. Please put "Typoscript-Editor"
in the subject, so I can have them automatically sorted.

By the way: Where is the person who claimed to have a solution completed in
Ultra Edit?

"dan frost" <dan at danfrost.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1086274051.31247.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> I'd just like to voice my interest - i've done quite a bite of crawling
> around the TypoScript structures (!) recently and agree that developer
> tools would help.
>
> Yes - it needs to be paid for. I think we need a "pot" - i.e. official
> Typo3 subscriptions!
>
> Anyway, i've played with this a bit and have toyed with interacting with
> Typo3 in Java so count me in.
>
> Dan
>

> Mathias Schreiber [K1net] wrote:
> > Joachim Scholtysik wrote:
> >
> >>Furthermore a new constants editor would be more than appreciated,
> >>with constants sorted by Typo3 area like sitemap, menu etc. etc.
> >>The developer could select in a context menu the menu item
> >>"Constants" and will then get a list of constants sorted by area.
> >>Then he/she could choose the required constant.
> >>
> >>What is your opinion?
> >

> > *singing* and who is gonna pay for this? *dub-di-di-dub-da-da*
> >
> > seriously.
> > Of course a full blown TS editor would be cool.
> > We all see the advantages of this thing (and the more to come).
> > But I have some questions maybe you can answer to...
> >
> > a) who is going to pay the devs?
> > b) how can we increase loading time for the thing?
> > c) who is going to programm this thing? Butsch alone, netfielders, a
Team?