[Typo3-dev] the horror of different usertables

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at web.de
Wed Jun 2 13:29:45 CEST 2004

Mathias Schreiber [K1net] schrieb:
> Elmar Hinz wrote:
>
>>Where to display them, in sysfolders like FE-Users or listet "in the
>>INSTALL" like BE-Users doesn't seem very important for me. I only
>>observe that double programming has been done to achieve this
>>different types of display, different types of input forms etc.
>>
>>If you have a big site, different groups of BE users may be
>>responsible for the content of different pagetrees, just grouped as
>>you describe it for the frontend.
>

> ok, requires a different way of thinking then.
> But what about my argument on checking BE users in FE Logins too?
> Isn't this just what you need?
>
> Maybe you could construct a more catchy example because in 3 years of typo3
> development I never came to the point you seem to need.
>
> If you need every FE user to edit content, this sounds very much like a
> community portal to me.

Where did I say that I came from a community background or not? That question
seems superfluous.

My first thesis is, that today a lot of dynamic webpages have elements of that,
what you would call a "community portal" and that it makes no sense to drow a
virtual border for me.

My second thesis is, that typo3 extensions develop more and more in the
direction of "community portal features". (In fact already Kaspars first
extensios pointed in that direction.) But the classical website is still the
startingpoint for the customers. And setting up a second system for the communty
requirements later, leads to redundant date, too. Often the community features
of typo3 would do.

If a lot of extensions develop in that direction, we should consider this in the
core of the system, too. I read 3 approaches to reach this in this discussion:

1.) Kasper: Simple synchronisation of FE and BE, wich would do for me

2.) Kasper: LDAP based synchronisation, which I like much, but that's still no
solution for the "poor" I guess

3.) Alistair: Service based authentication, which sounds to me like the most
flexible approach, giving everyone the possibility to have it the way he thinks
the best.

Personally I would vote for the first on the short run and for the third in the
long.