[Typo3-dev] Extension Repository on typo3.org / suggestion

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 23:00:15 CEST 2004

Hiya,

--- Rene Suthoelder <t3 at 1zu6-design.de> wrote:
> hi folks!
>
> 4 weeks ago, i presented kasper an idea on how to get money for the
> typo3.org-mentioned "official" projects (like DAM, workflow etc.).
> the whole
> idea was about to donate money to different projects you as an
> individual
> user would like to sponsor.
> sponsorship in general is a big word (for example, you as an company
> sponsor
> the development of a whole project like DAM).  i could never sponsor
> project in whole but...
>
> from my experience, individuals are willing to push the development
> as much
> as they can, so the general idea of giving money to someone who is
> able,
> capable and willing to spend his time and skills on development that
> goes
> far beyond a "simple" extension - and is not driven by (paid)
> customer
> needs - is quiet acceptable.
>
> for instance: i'm not capable of writing the DAM or workflow
> extension BUT i
> would like to use them on customer sites. so, personally, i would
> like to
> give a sum of money to the one who actually does the development.
> multiply
> these small sums and you get a reasonable amount of money which could
> be
> "inspiring" to the developer.
>
> is this still in the scope of open source? decide yourself, but
> things can
> be pushed as soon as money is involved...
>
> just my 2 cents...

Sounds good to me ;) I would like it if there were a way to donate to
Typo3/extensions with micropayments; I understand the objections the
the Paypal bureaucracy (somewhere Kasper wrote about what a huge waste
of time is represented by having to read and agree to the Paypal
licensing agreement), but for the moment, small, oft-repeated donations
would be more practical for me than large, individual donations.

Maybe subscriptions would be an idea? (As long as it was very clear
that subscription != any kind of special favours...)

-Christopher