[Typo3-dev] Extension Repository on typo3.org / suggestion

Hans J. Martin hans-jakob.martin at gmx.net
Tue Jun 1 13:43:24 CEST 2004

Hi,

facing the fact, that developer also want to live and don't want to make
their extension downloadable for everyone while still in the need of
sponsorship the 'alpha' state isn't the right option. (You can download
alpha-state extionsions).

The DAM (see in projects) is an other example: The project is looking for a
sponsor to do the FE output (IIRC) - and so just doing the BE-stuff. In the
mean time we see wonderful extensions like MOC Filemanager and
danp_documentdirs coming up. Which both bring us a nice frontend.
Maybe if both developer had seen that dam exists and just waiting for a
helping hand to do FE they would have just completed the work.
As for today danp_documentdirs is able to read and output the meta-tags from
(pdf) files which seems to me the most important point to the DAM becoming
obsolete while it has never been public at all. (And if it will become
public it might be 'just another filemanager for typo'). This seems to me a
sad situation, because some developers might be programing same functions
without knowing that from each other (and in this way multiple extension
with similiar functions come up)

So I will just come back to my suggestion: Would a 'need help/sponsorship'
state be useful?

The ldap extension is already up and running for me for a long time (now on
3.6.1). Certainly I could have uploaded my version as extension for the
extension but I felt that it is even more nice to send my code to the
programer to let him make a new release. Norman will have to do some testing
of course before he uploads the code (and maybe he is a little bit sick of
the claims for a 3.6. version - and I think you all know how aggresive these
claims are some times..) And this will take time (and if you are not
programing just for fun this means money!), but I also feel that I have done
a lot for this extension which means for me sponsoring the project! So I am
not looking for money (with this thread!) just for a way to make existing
efforts and lacks of help/sponsorsing more transparent.

Sorry for misleading the discussing, if I did! Let's focus on the
suggestion.

Rgds,
Hans

news:mailman.1129.1086084255.6288.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...