[Typo3-dev] the horror of different usertables

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at web.de
Tue Jun 1 00:33:25 CEST 2004

> After thinking about this "redundancy" I just wonder where you see any
> redundant data between be_users and fe_users?
>
> be_users contains:
> - a username
> - a password
> - mainly editing permissions
> - backend-specific settings (TSconfig)
> - name of the user
> - email of the user
> - ...
>
> fe_users contains:
> - a username
> - a password
> - name of the user
> - email of the user
> - contact infos (fax, address, etc.)
> - ...
>
> The only redundant position I see are username, name and email. Is this
> really what we are discussing about?

With password we have 4 of 6 of the fields you mention.

4 may sound little. But imagine the schools all over the earth i.e. Typo3 is
surly a tool they will consider to set up there schools homepage with.

Imagine a school with maybe 1000 pupils and 50 teachers. Now everyone of those
pupils has editor permissions to his classes pagetree controlled by his teacher.
Then there are some pages of a parents ini ...

There are 1000 pupils that need FE access to read all those pages and
additionally the parents, grandparents and friends.

Now imagine the admin. There are more then 1000 x 4 fields that need double
administration, probably 100 people don't understand the difference of the FE
and BE passwords and usernames ... asking nerving questing.

And you say there is no redundancy. Do you mean by this one should use different
username and password in such cases?

O.K. Kaspar will argue now, that this is again an community example. But it is
one of thousands community situations typo3 is used in in practice. The world
doesn't exist only of companies that want to publish some content to the public.
   That was the case in the last century.

On the other hand even each company that decides for typo3 asks for community
fetures of typo3 at some point. Currently you still have to give the fair
answer, that this will bring typo3 to it's limits and that they should consider
other technologies for this purpose.

Regards

Elmar