[Typo3-dev] the horror of different usertables

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Tue Jun 1 01:26:04 CEST 2004

> > The only redundant position I see are username, name and email. Is this
> > really what we are discussing about?
> >

> With password we have 4 of 6 of the fields you mention.
>
> 4 may sound little. But imagine the schools all over the earth i.e. Typo3
is
> surly a tool they will consider to set up there schools homepage with.
>
> Imagine a school with maybe 1000 pupils and 50 teachers. Now everyone of
those
> pupils has editor permissions to his classes pagetree controlled by his
teacher.
> Then there are some pages of a parents ini ...
>
> There are 1000 pupils that need FE access to read all those pages and
> additionally the parents, grandparents and friends.
>
> Now imagine the admin. There are more then 1000 x 4 fields that need
double
> administration, probably 100 people don't understand the difference of the
FE
> and BE passwords and usernames ... asking nerving questing.

This is an example far beyond reality!
In a school with about 1000 pupils and 50 teachers you will never have 1050
BE users since most of the teachers and/or the pupils won't be able or might
be just too lazy to spend time with editing pages. It's just a matter of
fact that only a hard core of about 10 or 20 people will do real work on a
schools website. Usually they will form a special study group
(Arbeitsgemeinschaft) for this job and only members of this group will need
BE-access. And I don't see why you would need FE-users at all. Usually my
grandma (if she would be able to use the internet) could visit my schools
website without any login or password since they don't handle secret
material that could have an impact on national security there. I don't know
how this stuff is managed at other school projects but I guess the number of
users with a name and a password (no matter if BE or FE) in most cases is
much lesser than in your horror-scenario.

And BTW: People who don't understand the difference between BE and FE-users
will never become a BE-user as long as I administer their site ;-)
... and this is another good reason to keep them the way it is done in typo3
right now: to separate the wheat from the chaff
Just kidding - read too much "bastard operator from hell"

Joey