[Typo3-dev] to kasper/TER owner: help for translators

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Thu Jul 22 14:58:55 CEST 2004

Hi Rene.

I think you are right that this overview is missing. Even if the
full-list page helps you it will not tell you which extensions are most
necessary to translate! Obviously there is a lot to do and translators
should always start out with the most popular extensions which at the
same time has localization support fully implemented (which cannot
always be expected).

THE FUTURE:
In 3.7.0 one of the features behind the scenes is a new file format for
localization, "locallang-XML". This is:
- based on XML files
- translated by a *backend module* (independant of TYPO3.org, but
local).
- supporting meta data of various kinds.

The new format will first be used in the core and all system extensions
and in particular for Context Sensitive Help (CSH) inside of TYPO3.

I plan to set up a server which all translators can log into and there
translate these locallang-XML files - which at the same time also
represents the most central and important translations to be done.

TYPO3.org will still offer the traditional translation framework. If
that will be outphased later is not decided, but currently I imagine
them to live side by side with locallang-XML used for "serious"
extensions.

--
- kasper

--------
Please notice NEW EMAIL ADDRESS for 2004!! (due to SPAM-contamination)

"kasper2004 at typo3.com"