[Typo3-dev] to kasper/TER owner: help for translators

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Jul 22 16:03:15 CEST 2004

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
  > THE FUTURE:
> In 3.7.0 one of the features behind the scenes is a new file format for
> localization, "locallang-XML". This is:
> - based on XML files
> - translated by a *backend module* (independant of TYPO3.org, but
> local).
> - supporting meta data of various kinds.

Does this mean also that in multi-domain installation I can have
different translations to separate domains ? Different XML files (local)
to different domains. Reasoning: sometimes you can use same extension
for a little different purposes.
Can translation be dynamic - extension which translates/converts labels
of other extension ?

> The new format will first be used in the core and all system extensions
> and in particular for Context Sensitive Help (CSH) inside of TYPO3.
>
> I plan to set up a server which all translators can log into and there
> translate these locallang-XML files - which at the same time also
> represents the most central and important translations to be done.

For multi-lingual sites almost any extension can be important. Who
decides which is important and which isn't ?
I see that the strength of Typo3 is just that translation load is
divided to community and so anybody can benefit of that.
Example: many sites I'm involved have 3+ languages. I've not been able
to use some extensions due to missing translation of some needed
language. Should there be some ranking/notification system to ask
extension to be translated to certain language?

> TYPO3.org will still offer the traditional translation framework. If
> that will be outphased later is not decided, but currently I imagine
> them to live side by side with locallang-XML used for "serious"
> extensions.

Same as above; "serious" ?

Personally I see also other problems:
a) Extension developers don't always think how they write
labels/expressions and how those can be translated. (depends also
grammar in various languages. You can look Finnish grammar in English
and Deutsch at address http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~pamakine/kieli/suomi/ ).

b) Problem is also that there is missing so much extension
manuals/documentation from which you could get hint how to translate
wordings written by developer. It's impossible to translator to install
every (488) extension and see how it works.
My opinion ; extension should not be in category 'stable' if there is no
manual.

b) Developers don't update translations.

c) Sometimes the default language has not been English !!!

I also urge every translator to put some effort into the work. After You
have translated everything once, it's not a big work to keep Typo3
updated in our own language.

Best regards,
Kari

--