[Typo3-dev] OT: Definition of Path, rootLine and PID :) (Was: Speaking URIs)

Martin Poelstra martin at beryllium.net
Fri Jan 16 16:49:42 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 15:37, Michael Zedeler wrote:
> Path is the general term to use for the nodes between two points in a
> tree (one possibly being the root). There really is no need to invent
> any new terminology here.

Yeah well, but you wanted to know why we still use the word rootline :)
Well, that's just to make a difference between talking about the final
result (the path, the URL) and the things we do in the database (the
rootline, page-ids, the records).

> > Oh, sorry, please don't confuse PID with UID. The PID is the Parent ID,
> > while UID is the page-ID. So, with the above statement I meant: there
> > shouldn't be any two pages with the same name and the same parent-page.
>
> Okay. I missed that one. Thanks for clarifying. I have started making
> abbreviations such as gid for uids in the fe_groups table. When it comes
> to pid I automatically thought of uids for pages.

It confused me the first time too, so I should have know it would also
confuse others :)

Grtz,
Martin