[Typo3-dev] Speaking URIs

Michael Zedeler michael at zedeler.dk
Fri Jan 16 15:37:35 CET 2004

Martin Poelstra wrote:

>>Rootline is such an odd construct. Why is it that we don't just say "path"?
>
> Well, the 'path' is something like /products/product1/features/, while
> the rootline a list of page-id's is, possibly including some extra
> information like the page-title.

Path is the general term to use for the nodes between two points in a
tree (one possibly being the root). There really is no need to invent
any new terminology here.

Trees can be decorated with differend kinds of information, such as page
ids and the like.

http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/path.html
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/tree.html
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/branching.html

>>>But I actually don't really see a case where different pages will have
>>>the same name AND the same PID, except maybe for the root-page of
>>>domains, but they don't get included in the URL anyway (because they
>>>'are' /), so they're not a problem.
>>
>>...but the new URIs were not depending on the pid? So how is this done?
>
> Oh, sorry, please don't confuse PID with UID. The PID is the Parent ID,
> while UID is the page-ID. So, with the above statement I meant: there
> shouldn't be any two pages with the same name and the same parent-page.

Okay. I missed that one. Thanks for clarifying. I have started making
abbreviations such as gid for uids in the fe_groups table. When it comes
to pid I automatically thought of uids for pages.

Regards,

Michael.