[Typo3-dev] Speaking URIs

Martin Poelstra martin at beryllium.net
Fri Jan 16 14:03:31 CET 2004

Hi Michael,

> > Well, in fact it is rather inefficient to let the extension figure out
> > this ambiguity when it is construcing URLs, because it then has to look
> > at all pagetitles in all pages along the rootline. It would be a much
> > better idea to detect this when you save a page and then either give an
> > error or warning, or automatically 'fill in that extra field'.
> > I don't think you want to bother your users or admins with filling in
> > this extra field.
>
> Definately! Since you can resolve conflicts at this stage.
>
> Rootline is such an odd construct. Why is it that we don't just say "path"?

Well, the 'path' is something like /products/product1/features/, while
the rootline a list of page-id's is, possibly including some extra
information like the page-title.

> > But I actually don't really see a case where different pages will have
> > the same name AND the same PID, except maybe for the root-page of
> > domains, but they don't get included in the URL anyway (because they
> > 'are' /), so they're not a problem.
>
> ...but the new URIs were not depending on the pid? So how is this done?

Oh, sorry, please don't confuse PID with UID. The PID is the Parent ID,
while UID is the page-ID. So, with the above statement I meant: there
shouldn't be any two pages with the same name and the same parent-page.

Grtz,
Martin