[Typo3-dev] Services - any work??

Ingmar Schlecht ingmars at web.de
Fri Jan 2 14:43:13 CET 2004

Hi Martin,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> implementing the simulStatic engine the service way, it would  be
>> easy to implement new things like "Speaking URLs".
>
> Other ways that aliases and the "alias plus" extensions? Why do
> you need services for that?

The extension you mention uses XCLASSes.
Well, to keep it short, XCLASSes are bad. There is no clean interface.
There can only be one XCLASS.

That's why doing it the "service way" could improve things.

>>- converting the whole graphics manipiulation classes to service classes
>>  -> this way one could implement the "graphics service" using different
>>backbones such as GD, IM, PIMP, GIMP, plain PHP, Adobe Image Server,
>
> That would really be nice :-)
>
> I would go for more than one service: Type conversion, reszing/resampling
> , image creation. So you can use the besta available implementation.
>  Drawback is that you will have to use files for inter-service communicat
> ion.

Jepp, exactly. Inter-service communication is the weak point of
splitting the graphics manupulation into more than one service.

BTW, There's another idea about a service coming to my mind: The indexed
search.

Currently, if you want to search the whole site Typo3.org, you have to
use about 4 different search forms, the main search form of the indexed
search, the mailinglist archive, the mailinglist FAQs, etc....

Wouldn't it be cooler if every extension that offers search
functionality (like mininews, mailinglist archive, shop, etc...) would
provide a search service which is invoked by the indexed search on every
search request?

The web site user would only have to use the one main search form in
order to search all those non-cached extensions, because the indexed
search extension would invoke all of those search services of the
extensions.

cheers,
Ingmar