[Typo3-dev] Services - any work??

Martin Kutschker martin.t.kutschker at blackbox.net
Fri Jan 2 10:27:20 CET 2004

Hi Ingmar,

> > - Datatype-independent handling. E.g. putting something into an array
> > looks the same as putting it into a file or a database (using pull, pop,
> > push methods etc)
>
> Yeah.
> I like your idea!
> It reminds me of the "Data Sources" idea that we discussed in Düsseldorf.

Sounds like Perl ties to me ;-)

But yes, such things come in handy.

> > - Email transport classes
>
> Jepp, would be nice to make the email functions of Typo3 use a service
> for mail transporting. That way one can make different implementations
> of this, one implementation using SMTP to access their provider's mail
> server, one using the local sendmail, and the default service using the
> PHP function mail() or something like this.

Yes!

> - simulateStaticDocuments
> -> implementing the simulStatic engine the service way, it would be
> easy to implement new things like "Speaking URLs".
> I have written proof of concept code for simulStatic services.

Other ways that aliases and the "alias plus" extensions? Why do you need services for that?

> - converting the whole graphics manipiulation classes to service classes
> -> this way one could implement the "graphics service" using different
> backbones such as GD, IM, PIMP, GIMP, plain PHP, Adobe Image Server, etc.

That would really be nice :-)

I would go for more than one service: Type conversion, reszing/resampling, image creation. So you can use the besta available implementation. Drawback is that you will have to use files for inter-service communication.

Masi