[Typo3-dev] Indexedsearch 2.0

Sacha Vorbeck sachav at gmx.net
Wed Feb 18 15:26:14 CET 2004

Hi,

> ... and it must have saved hundreds of people a lot of time that they didn't have to create templates each time they wanted to use Indexed Search.

there are surely a lot of people how are very satisfied with the layout
as is. So what we read here are mostly the complaints of the people who
tried to change the layout beyond the possible changes allowed by just
changing the CSS. I guess when we just compare the number of downloads
of the indexed-search with the number of the post of the people who had
problems with the layout we could conclude that the current construction
of the indexed search is just brilliant and there is absolutely no need
to improve or change it.

For me the question is: don`t you think that this people would still be
exactly as satisfied when the HTML-Code of the current layout would be
in a HTML-Template? What change would it make for them? No change IMHO.
But it would make a change for those who need that bit more flexibility.

 > I don't find it that weird. Separation of HTML and PHP is not a dogma
 > to follow blindly, we should do so only if practical. In this case I
 > think it is not (for the majority).

OK, you have a lot to do and if the majority is satisfied I can
understand why you want to keep it the way it is.

But wouldn`t it be easier for you as a developer as well to maintain and
improve the source-code if it would be seperated? You could even ask
someone else to make the template and concentrate on the PHP-side. I`m
sure you thought about that and I can see the result, but I don`t
understand it. Maybe you can explain that?

> But we can vote...
I don`t think we need to vote. Maybe we can agree on that it is too much
work to change it if so many are satisfied with the status quo even
though it would be better and more flexible to change it.

As you sounded a bit offended I`d like to point out that I really
appreciate the work you have done and only try to help and improve
things. Maybe I`m focused on valid markup too much and can`t see things
clearly but I have the impression that the control over the generated
HTML and the seperation of logic and layout is getting more and more
important and is thus also important for Typo3s future.

--
thanks and all the best,
Sacha