[Typo3-dev] Indexedsearch 2.0

=?us-ascii?Q?=22Kasper_Sk=E5rh=F8j=22?= kasper at typo3.com
Wed Feb 18 15:58:47 CET 2004

Just a wicked idea:

Since TYPO3 is standardizing itself towards XHTML - why not consider the default output from eg. indexed-search as "XML" that you just parse and transform into some thing else?

Why wouldn't that be valid? with the use of id attributes the identification of the content would even be easy and safe.

(Just playing with the thoughts, and yes, I know Indexed Search extension is not YET XHTML...)

And another point:

transforming into various output formats is in my opinion not just a question of templating: Quite often you need logic. For instance you should always pass values through htmlspecialchars() before you output into HTML - that wouldn't be the case for a "plain text" layout or whatever. it's not all that simple I think (@ andreas). Or you need to span some table cells based on a condition.

Offended, no. Today, I'm just throwing some quick thoughts on the list for the sake of discussion. Basically we have been over this time and time again. and I have always claimed that implementing alternative templating mechanisms to the hardcoded HTML is ok. (see the new mininews version for TYPo3 3.6.0 as example). But I also think that quick extension development should give priority to the hardcoded HTML and implement an HTML template secondarily as a "service" to those who needs that bit more.
- kasper

"Mange kokke fordærver maden."
"En fugl i hånden er bedre end ti på taget."