[Typo3-dev] Dublin core

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 21:32:24 CET 2004

First, I haven't looked properly at the existing solutions for workflow
so sorry.

Ok - here's an overview.

The dublin core is a metadata standard; a set of tags for describing
things (primarily) on the internet. One of the tags is "resource", a tag
for describe what the resource being described is.

I've built a "resource management" system (current only code-level)
where each class wraps a resource type (and sub-type, e.g. "human" is a
sub-type of "party").[1] This means that dealing with a resource is done
(almost) entriely through:

$resource->getState()

and

$resource->setState(array('stateName' => 'stateValue'...));

So, already we've got a set way of dealing with all types of "resources"
- and note that resources are what a workflow needs to manage. All we
need now is an easy way of saying which resources are required and in
which order (and more complex variations thereon).

I then introduce a sub-type of the dublin core's "dataset" resource
type: "workflow". This is a just a list (workflow) of lists (roles and
actions). Each "roles and actions" list contains a list of all of the
roles required, and which should be done when the required resources
fulfilling those roles reach a certain state.

Soon I'll release it...

Dan

[1] For those of you into it: this implements a combination of the Proxy
pattern (resource state can be local/foreign and possibly built of
complex data) and the Facade pattern (the programmer can get to the raw
data if required).