[Typo3-dev] SetGroupID vs ACL

Martin Poelstra martin at beryllium.net
Fri Feb 6 22:38:36 CET 2004

Hi Masi,

> I understand the needs for an enhanced authorization system.
> SetGID and SetUID have been in Unix for a long time, though
> that doesn't mean they are the very best ways to do things.

Very true. But I mostly need the SetGID-thing currently, which is
relatively easy to implement.

> They are quite "hackish", not easily understood, easily misused.

Well, the unix-way they are. But if we only have SetGID (which we might
rename), it will be quite easy to understand, and I don't think it can
be misused.

> If more folks have a need to have a very fine grained access control
> I vote for implementing access control lists (ACL).

Me too. Would be cool.

> I'm not sure if it's possible to just add them on top of the existing
> system. If not, they are a nice goal for 4.0 :-)

That's where I'm a bit concerned indeed. I guess a lot of hooks (API's)
have to be created by Kasper for this, and we need a completely new
Access-module.

But it IS a good idea!
I'll colaborate!

Grtz,