[Typo3-dev] Mirroring typo3.org etc.

Steffen Mueller steffen at davis.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 4 17:17:02 CET 2004

Hi Kasper, hi list.

In the last days, the Typo3-servers (typo3.org, etc.) and the online
repository have been temporarily down. Maybe some of you noticed that.

Some of us (including me) could not continue their work while the server
was down. Some customer demonstration had to be cancelled, researches
were not possible and so on. So, it could be helpful to have some mirrors.

Maybe we can effort some space for a mirror on a server in our
university. But before that, I would like to discuss the possible
solutions with you.

The Online repository: ter.typo3.com

Alternative repositories could be choosed automatically, if the main
server is not available. But how to solve this? Is it possible to setup
a secondary (or more) IP address in the DNS?
I'm not very familiar with mirroring tools (rsync?), but is it possible
to sync the mirrors "on the fly"? Thus there won't be any differences
between the mirrors and the main server.

The Websites: typo3.org (etc.)

Since mirroring static files won't provide a full mirror (search engine
will be missing, ...), it has to be set up differently. Syncing the
MySQL databases would be a solution, but is that wanted?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
cheers,
Steffen

"Education is man's going forward from cocksure ignorance
to thoughtful uncertainty." (Don Clarks' Scrapbook)