[Typo3-dev] Mirroring typo3.org etc.

Mathias Schreiber [K1net] ms at netfielders.de
Wed Feb 4 17:45:18 CET 2004

Steffen Mueller wrote:
> In the last days, the Typo3-servers (typo3.org, etc.) and the online
> repository have been temporarily down. Maybe some of you noticed that.

Bad luck, thanks to whatever.

> Some of us (including me) could not continue their work while the
> server was down. Some customer demonstration had to be cancelled,
> researches were not possible and so on. So, it could be helpful to
> have some mirrors.

? Why can't you work when typo3.org is down?

> Maybe we can effort some space for a mirror on a server in our
> university. But before that, I would like to discuss the possible
> solutions with you.

We had this discussion before, maybe some fresh input will help.

> The Online repository: ter.typo3.com
>
> Alternative repositories could be choosed automatically, if the main
> server is not available. But how to solve this? Is it possible to
> setup
> a secondary (or more) IP address in the DNS?
> I'm not very familiar with mirroring tools (rsync?), but is it
> possible to sync the mirrors "on the fly"? Thus there won't be any
> differences between the mirrors and the main server.

Professional replication tools are available and are way out of range in
price.
Think about a new car or about a replicator.

> The Websites: typo3.org (etc.)
>
> Since mirroring static files won't provide a full mirror (search
> engine will be missing, ...), it has to be set up differently.
> Syncing the
> MySQL databases would be a solution, but is that wanted?

Sync 12 GB via web.
Traffic is expensive, remember this.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point regarding mirroring of this project, bu
I don't see any way to do this with our (in this manner) rather limited
budget. Professional mirroring is a very expensive thing and thus not
possible (everyone correct me if i'm wrong). since the problems can be
boiled down to the DB switching the DB to a more scalable system might help.
But rewriting typo3 with a DBAL takes time, too.