[Typo3-dev] RFE: Remove profile data from images

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Tue Aug 17 15:22:55 CEST 2004

Hi Jose,

>   convert <srcImg>+profile IPTC <dstImg>
>
> This switch works correctly on IM 5, not in 4.2.9 .

Thanks, this sounds interesting. See IM manual:

--- cut ---
To make a thumbnail of a JPEG image, use:

convert -size 120x120 cockatoo.jpg -resize 120x120 +profile "*" thumb.jpg

In this example, '-size 120x120' gives a hint to the JPEG decoder that the
image is going to be downscaled to 120x120, allowing it to run faster by
avoiding returning full-resolution images to ImageMagick for the subsequent
resizing operation. The '-resize 120x120' specifies the desired dimensions
of the output image. It will be scaled so its largest dimension is 120
pixels. The '+profile "*"' removes any ICM, EXIF, IPTC, or other profiles
that might be present in the input and aren't needed in the thumbnail.
--- cut ---

If this solves the problem then I'd say we can add this optional switch so
that it will be applied on every 'convert' command.

Is there any other reason to not include it? Should we add it by default?
What about the performance, does this speed things up or slow them down?

> It would be a nice idea to integrate the switch on the TYPO3-IM workflow,
> so all the processed images have all the metadata removed. That's less
> kilobytes and getting rid of the MSIE bug...

Less kilobytes is an argument... ;-)

> BTW, the bug is still alive on MSIE 6

That's an argument for not adding the feature! ;-)

BTW, recently I stumbled over a quite nice little function that shows a
banner every time an IE user is leaving your page:
http://dean.edwards.name/my/misbehaviors/#noIE-popup

I think we should support this with an additional switch, too! ;-)

Cheers, michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html