[Typo3-dev] Quality development

Roger Bunyan roger at redgumsoaps.com.au
Fri Nov 14 03:48:11 CET 2003

Thanks Troels

> - we need structure and not rules!

I have always hated rules because while they seem like a good idea at the time at some later date they come back and bite you. They also limit diversity.

The other thing to remeber is that standards also have their short comings, as one pundit put it:

" the best thing about standards is that you can have lots of them!"

However the real problem is that things are growing a little haphazardly and much work is being done that will become redundant. The loss here is not the work itself but that this work could have been channeled into something that could produced a better final result.

Typo3.org is a fantastic resource and an answer to almost every question that someone may have is to be found here, yet every day the same questions come up on the user list. How many times has the question of css_styled content and forms being answered?

It is no longer any good to tell people to search the list, they just don't find what they are after. Who do you blame  - the user or the resource?

It would seem to me that to make typo more accessabile, the development of it more structured and just generally easier to use will require the gathering of skills that have nothing to do with programming. So if you ask people whose primary skill and passion is code how to achieve this structure, will you get the best answer?

Over the past 2 years I have seen many people come and look at typo but then get scared off, mainly because their lack programming skills, however many of these had the very skills and  especially the passion needed to solve the very problem we are discussing here.

I am not sure how to overcome this problem, but I do believe for typo to progress orderly there has to be a place for everyone, and the contributions that the non programming types are eager to make made very welcome.  In other words I think the community is too heavily focused on code and as a result we are not seeing the results that are truely possible.

peace, good will and sustainability to all.

- Roger Bunyan (roger)

This thread is located in the archive at this URL:
http://typo3.org/1427+M5485fc440ab.0.html