[Typo3-dev] Quality development

Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] daniel at typo3.com
Fri Nov 14 11:50:54 CET 2003

Hi Troels,

> I think the many extensions, which can be modified, installed, uninstalled
> a.s.o is the nerve of typo3 - it´s the dynamics in releases of extensions,
> that makes the community fast growing.

It also puts off many people when they have taken a closer look at quality.
While much development is theoretically positive, it means nothing without
good quality. In terms communication:

"it is a good thing to be honest, but it is also important to be right"
(churchill)

> However - I think the windows model would be cool here - u get notified by
> win´dows update everytime an important or major and official update is
> available - whilst you can browse the windows update site for minor/specific
> updates and plugin-programs
>
> - would that be a way to do it?

I don't think so, the EM already shows updates and I think that is enough.

> Anyhow if u read my post further down the list regarding bibliographic
> standards for typo3 - that might be a possibility too - if filedtypes and
> contents were standardized (?) it would be a lot easier to move data from an
> outdated extension to a new one and simply uninstall the old extension
> afterwards. 80% or so of the many extensions works with "bibliographic"
> materials, such as articles, books, imagegalleries, cd-lists a.s.o

I did not forget this and still owe you some detailed response.

> I say lets keep the multiplicity and thereby feed peoples fascination of the
> system - we need structure and not rules!

Well, the plan now is that we will create two repository views in the EM and
the TER on TYPO3.org.

Cheers

Daniel

--