[Typo3-dev] XML/OpenOffice/Office 2003 comp RTE

Robert Lemke rl at robertlemke.de
Tue Nov 11 16:17:35 CET 2003

Hi Troels,

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 14:54, Troels Kjær Rasmussen wrote:

> The first XML editors are already outthere Bitflux and xopus (unfortunately XOPUS is not OS) -
> in a reasonable timespan, I´m sure that we will begin to see RTE´s that can read and write
> directly in Open Office SXW and Office 2003 XML formats. - and thereby redefine contentmanagement
> as we know it.

Well, sorry to interrupt you ... We already can read OO and MS Office
documents and import them into the RTE. The only thing which is missing
is write-support which will be programmed somewhen. Some people already
showed interest for write-support so when their projects / my schedule
allows it, I'll implement it.

> In the meanwhile we could
> 2. offer an altyernative - if this is possible:
>
>     next to textfields you would have two buttons:
>
>  - "Edit in Open Office"
> -  "Edit in Office 2003"
>
> they should basically both do the following sequence :
>
> 1. each user has a blank SXW file or blank Office2003 doc file on server (possibly ftp-drive?)
>
> 2. if content already exists - write the contents to the blank file of choice
>
> 3. open up blank file in client office writer (OO or O2003) and let user edit/write document
>
> 4. on save both programs should (as far as i know) try to write back to the opriginal placement of doc (but maybe that only works with ftp access? - then it´s more complicated, but doable)
>
> 5. autoimport the newly created/edited document into the RTE to display
>
> I know we are far from it, but I´m sure it´s doable somehow - therefor it could be an option rather than
> default (client would need one of the officeinstallations + possibly ftp-access to the blank file) -
> would be cool though - imagine editing your textfields directly in Office! - that would be awesome!

Well, I guess you didn't check out the general office extension then, that's something you will like.
However I don't see office support as a replacement for the RTE but as an extension for import and export
formats.

--
robert