[Typo3-dev] XML/OpenOffice/Office 2003 comp RTE

Troels Kjær Rasmussen troelsr at msn.com
Tue Nov 11 14:54:35 CET 2003

Hi list

It seems to me that people both in this list and other lists have discussed replacing/improving the RTE -

I think we should wait!

The first XML editors are already outthere Bitflux and xopus (unfortunately XOPUS is not OS) - in a reasonable timespan, I´m sure that we will begin to see RTE´s that can read and write directly in Open Office SXW and Office 2003 XML formats. - and thereby redefine contentmanagement as we know it.

In the meanwhile we could

1. leave things as they are...

2. offer an altyernative - if this is possible:

    next to textfields you would have two buttons:

 - "Edit in Open Office"
-  "Edit in Office 2003"

they should basically both do the following sequence :

1. each user has a blank SXW file or blank Office2003 doc file on server (possibly ftp-drive?)

2. if content already exists - write the contents to the blank file of choice

3. open up blank file in client office writer (OO or O2003) and let user edit/write document

4. on save both programs should (as far as i know) try to write back to the opriginal placement of doc (but maybe that only works with ftp access? - then it´s more complicated, but doable)

5. autoimport the newly created/edited document into the RTE to display

I know we are far from it, but I´m sure it´s doable somehow - therefor it could be an option rather than default (client would need one of the officeinstallations + possibly ftp-access to the blank file) - would be cool though - imagine editing your textfields directly in Office! - that would be awesome!

- Troels Kjær Rasmussen (troelsr)