[Typo3-dev] TS inconsistencies...

"Kasper Skårhøj" kasper at typo3.com
Mon Jul 28 09:46:43 CEST 2003

Hey Dan.

A comment on your ideas with objects in PHP and TS;

Generally; TS is a fast way to get a website up and running as JH said - if you know TS, that is...

About your "100% backwards compatible" thing I'm a little sceptical, but surprise me. Maybe I don't really get what is so inconsistent that you have to do this.

Then let me express just one fear; That what you are trying to do with good intensions, something which may be beautiful and which developers like yourself and many others can relate to much better than TS - that you are trying to IMPOSE this onto TypoScript while TypoScript may not be the right "agent" to carry the implementation! I think Rene shares my view here. So, when I read what you write about your ideas I simply ask the question: WHY do you want to use TypoScript anyways! Why not just create a NEW, parallel, 100% PHP based implementation, totally non-backwards compatible with TypoScript, based on concepts which those 50% of this list who more or less dislikes TypoScript anyways can much better understand! Waste TypoScript! Why bother! Throw it out if it doesn't fit what you want to do! I'm not sarcastic here, believe me. When I use TypoScript for my various implementations in TYPO3 I do it because a) the syntax is at hand and b) it works nicely for what I want most of the time. But I DON'T keep using TypoScript because I'm nostalgic about it! Really, if someone came up with an alternative frontend engine based on PHP objects then I would certainly welcome it warmheartedly! Such an implementation might have another audience, but wouldn't that just make TYPO3 fitting more people?

God bless

- kasper