[Typo3-dev] TS inconsistencies...

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 14:50:40 CEST 2003

>Sounds interesting. I suggest you post more details about it, because you have
>to do some advertising and persuade us before it will go into T3 :-)
>
>I think a new TS have to be backward compatible or old TS can be converted
>safe and easy.

I will certainly do some more persuading - but I need to work out how it
could be done - especially re: backwards compatibility.

I aim for 100% backwards compatibility.

>To make it more clear. Let's say you have an TS editor that provide (with
>popups or similar) information about possible properties and it's data type
>while editing. Would that be a (big) step forward?
>

>The point is that could be done because the needed information is available
>through the typo3.org documentation system and it's already used at some
>places in the BE.

Granted - the information already exists. What I think should happen is
that, using well written classes, these pop-ups would be dynamic. E.g.
each class would have a structure like:

class someDataType {
  $someDataType_description = "Blurb to be put into the pop-up";

  function someFunction() {

  }
   etc...
}

The pop-up would then have (i) a description of the datatype; and (ii) a
list of methods - gained from asking the class what methods it has...
and possibly what the datatype's parents are...etc

Look at php5 - this would be beautiful code with php5's new object
model. (See, e.g. http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/argerich20030411.php3).

dan