[Typo3-dev] TS inconsistencies...

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 10:28:15 CEST 2003

Here's my suggestion - and bear in mind, I think this is a _long-term_
aim for the good of TS.

TypoScript should be entirely defined in objects. Each datatype, content
object and all other TS 'things' should be defined by inheritance in a
properly organised object-oriented structure. I'll explain why at the end.

For example:

Datatypes - because these generally define the way a "thing" works,
datatypes could be implemented as interfaces (if available in PHP5 - or
psuedo-interfaces, if no).

The parent object - would look be very based. It would probably contain
just a simple interface and a "debug" function.

E.g. TEXT - would inherit from the parent, adding methods and interfaces
as needed.

E.g. HTML - would inherit from TEXT, also adding as needed.

E.g. IMAGE - would inherit from a 'graphics' object (probably also the
parent of gifbuilder and the like), which would use HTML (to fake
multiple inheritance).

The point of this is three-fold:
1. Objects and easier extensible. Datatype, content-type and
whatever-extensions could be written to extend _just_ the necessary class.
2. Any PHP-object analyser (e.g. http://www.ueckermann.de/typo3doku/)
would automatically act as a TS reference, showing what methods,
functions and properties are available to any "thing".
3. Inconsitencies would be explainable in terms of this structure.

Also - it's more organised, and (if it's of interest) would make it
(relatively) trivial to implement a TS-debugger, or to port TS (e.g. a
Java TS rendering engine; or native-code, for bigger sites).

Again, I emphasise that this is a long-term aim. Organising TS like this
makes sense, long term, especially with the explosion in the number of
extensions (each adding more "things" to the language). Implementing
this needn't be hard, though - it would start by moving all the code to
properly organised objects-files (which are include()'d by the existing
TS-rendering file).

If anyone's not convinced, I could mock-up a few examples.

Any thoughts?

dan