[TYPO3-debian] Packaging some extensions?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Tue Nov 18 22:31:11 CET 2008

Steffen Müller wrote:
> My opinion is that v.4 will not be supported very long after there is a
> transition path to v.5. afaik there are no official "v.4 will be
> supported until XXX/ at least for XXX years" statements. Considering the
> increasing efforts in a technical transition, the chances for v.4
> support shrink.

It depends on what "support" means. Probably there won't be new features
developped after 5.0 is released. But I think there will even be some
new improvements. However, what you can be sure about is that security
support will continue for a long time...

To get a better picture of the situation, imagine what happens when a
new 4.x version is released: Usually, most agencies will stay with the
old version and not switch to it. Some will skip one version, some will
never perform that change. Instead they are going to relaunch the
website based on a new version at some point...

However, as the effort needed for such an update compared to an update
to 5.0 is much less, you can surely expect that even less of them will
hurry with that step.

> Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your efforts in packaging. But support
> promises are very vague in the long term. And TYPO3 v.4 in lenny+1 imho
> has to be regarded as a long term project.

We did not communicate any dates or timespans, but 2 years of security
support should be the least that we will give users time.

>> btw there will be no automatic upgrade path from v4 packages to v5 packages
>> in debian.
>
> This is a reason for me not to use a debian package, but a native TYPO3
> installation. The holy cow was always taken serious and from my point of
> view will be in questions of upgrading to v.5.

I agree this will be hard to resolve the Debian way. TYPO3 5.0 will
appear like a logical next update for v4 but under the hood it got
changed completely.

We're doing our best to make the migration path easy, but I think it can
be said already that this cannot be totally automated. So thinking of a
Debian package, I would give it a new name so manual operation will be
neccessary...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out